Thursday, March 17, 2011

sign

man--I don't know how to say
it's been an issue of passing
unseen, of crossing each other's backs
I put out my hand
and you extend your hand
--we look down,
and draw them back
--the jet planes are always leaving
you used to rush to the airport
and come running up to the gate
just in time
I used to watch jet trails
in the sky--even when you were
there--in the stands
I think I must have
imprinted on the sign

no jets now
and no skidding up to
the gate, no running
out across the sky
--no there's no smoke
arcing, and no field either
and no stands, no I think
we'll be watching each other
forever--no, I think
that's alright, man
that's alright--

I think it's alright
to be puzzling over
the figures--with their
oddly familiar
angles, their curves
and arcing slants
--don't mind so much
going by sign

it's a language worth learning.

No comments: