Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Beijing

I hold to
the girls with their ratted hair
clustering around the storefronts
selling cheap knock-offs--at the bus stops
refer back to
the man who used to play
his saxophone, down by the canal
while the older man painted characters
in water, on the bluish-gray of the pavement
and the man who was kicking
thighs-bulging across the tow-path
and the one shouting out the dictionary
to learn English, and the one howling
out the soprano for some Beijing opera
at five in the morning, and those people
down in the boat, pulling fish out of
the freezing murk
and the men striding puff-chest along
the sidewalk--because they knew they owned
the city, and squads of policemen
practicing Kung Fu and Tai Jit Su
in the square, late into the night
--I dodged them in the morning
when they were jogging, and
I was jogging the other way
--hold them
these streets, those streets
and hear the steps echoing
voices clamoring, breath puffing
and my own steps echoing
even now, in the desert
sifting the debris for fossils
I find myself rubbing
the fossil ridges
in my hands.

No comments: