Sunday, May 2, 2010

grave

now that it has been taken from me
to rest beneath the shuddering green
to lay back in the leaves
lean and strong
with the light filtering down on me
--and the coming
lightly,
--a sharp and rippling
freshness
in the dusky still
--from somewhere else
now that I am denied
the final coming
of the familiar ghost
I have not met
and its chill touch on my forehead
and its eyes on my eyes

now that it is far beyond me
now that peace
and honor are buried
deep in the rolling flesh of day

know that I bear
the sunlight on my skin
know that I govern my limbs
purely as an epitaph

3 comments:

aria said...

there was a chill touch on my forehead as I read this..

Perry Strange said...

... and a grin, on my face--now.

Now--that's a lovely thing about sharing... when reminding someone else reminds yourself.

(shall rhyme in the comments, only--I think.)

Perry Strange said...
This comment has been removed by the author.