Saturday, May 15, 2010

city

this place throws off beauty with a toss of its hand
through all the soft, sweet nights--I am compelled to stand
the trees slice, languid, into the sky
in the leaves, a welter of birds state their names, loudly
and so, I must grip my own name tight to me
and not look where the roads lead across the ruffled land
when the year closes in on itself again
and the wind announces itself, burring
and grinds its teeth on the skin
when the moon turns sharp
and the stars go reeling
I will walk along the edge of winter,
all the way out to the hills
I will hold my skull hard
and walk smooth and steady
--and beyond them
beating my name on my bones

when I come to where
the ferns wave sharply on the ridges
and the rain can't bear to bide
and the lights fill the slopes
with warmer stars
on the edge of the valley
with night prickling on my neck
the reeds rustling in the wind
I will lay down my name
in the grit
I will put down my face
I will cut my tendons free
of the bonds that bound them so tightly
with all the city heedless below me
I will kneel down and be glad

3 comments:

aria said...

This is one of your best.
I read it 3-4 times.. and I am glad :)

Perry Strange said...

... ah!--you liked it!

--isn't it funny... sometimes it's the ones you aren't too sure about that strike a chord with somebody else?

I wonder if it's because those are the ones that come from outside of your comfort zone... make you say something new (which itches, a bit)?

Perry Strange said...

... and by "you"--I mean, er, "me".

... re-read and remembered that the second person universal doesn't always come out clearly on the net.