Friday, June 20, 2008

My Fingers

I.

My finger-tips are rough
My finger-nails are ragged
But I will make them softer than silk
-- Don’t pull back
I will touch you more gently than sunlight
My hands are strong from clenching
But I show you my open palm
-- I don’t blame you for flinching
I know my skin is dirty
The earth’s been ground deep down into it
Deeper than the soap can go
I’m certain to leave smudges…
-- Oh please, don’t shiver. Oh please…
-- Please. You’ve nothing to fear…
-- Won’t you let me touch you?
Let me smooth your scowls
Let me rub away the tear-tracks
I would cradle you more softly than sand

II.

I would cradle you more softly than sand
I would hold you firmer than oak
I burn, but for you, I will sink to a smolder
-- Don’t turn away
I howl, but for you, I will whisper
Across your neck to cool the sweat
I roar, but for you, I will lap
Against your feet to wash away the dust
-- Still, you shudder…

No comments: