Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Claim

I'd like to think of all of you, as little points of light
that if I see the sky glowing blue
and the sky-scrapers wreathed in haze
if I hear the chimes echo in the dark
that someone else watches
the light play across someone else's cheekbones
in a dim garage
where they're making music
and another smells the fresh scent of cilantro
rising out of the thin plastic bag
mixed with the sharp dampness of the night air
as they are walking home from the grocery store
I'd like to think that at least one
is thrust into delighted awareness
of the exhilaration and charging vulnerability
of the suicide pact we make each day on the 10
and grins with fierce gratitude
as they go jetting over the pot-holes
that someone stood on the sidewalk, at dusk
and lit a cigarette, and dreamed for awhile
until someone called them back inside
that we hold each other
as the night holds us
against the harsh light of day.

"We belong, we belong, we belong..."

--I stake my claim.

No comments: