Friday, March 27, 2009

... (vii)

--a little more blasphemy. Ah well.

good Lord--there must be more

than this, must be more              must be a greater

must be a greater greatness

                                                                 than this

Oh God--there must be

something greater               than this

             Oh Lord,                                             there must be

a further hill

                               there must be

                                                                  a greater

city. 


Ah God--the dark center of the day

                                          devours me from

the inside

                          I choke, whenever

             this world                                takes it breath

Ah God--

                                    my hollow bones

         devour me

                                                from the inside

                               Oh Lord, I choke

whenever     this world          takes its          breath

                 when it breathes in me

                                                             Lord

it chokes me from the inside

                hey--Lord

why'd you make me 

                                     to flutter, ground-bound

             hey-God, hey-Lord

     why'd you make a bird

                         with paper wings

           just enough to flap

not enough

                          to fly

         oh God, oh God

     why'd you make my arms a cross-beam

Lord, why'd you make my spine a pole   

                           why'd you hammer me veinwise

     five feet above the ground?

  hey Lord--ain't no dice at me feet

ain't no spear in my side

                       oh you! merciless God

       where is your pity?

                               what is this stuggling

  the arms forward, and the back arched

a breath--one

                         fall forward

     each one weaker

                             fluttering       

each one weaker

                down into tremoring

  God!

                                        you'd have us all die by

        drowning

No comments: