Sunday, March 21, 2010

fairfax

--and no, you can't say,
even the trees escaped the winter unscathed
and my reflection hangs
shaggy and spindled
now, with the snow gone
the sun gleams on the peaks of my face, only
and no longer breaks itself on the ground
no more gleaming
--and I am not the man I used to be
with my jeans hanging in folds
what is to be done with returning sparrows?
what is to be done with the crocus
gnawing brightly at the dead leaves?
what--what
no, you place of lines
we slowly, in the cracked
mush of what you have torn
and ground and left for dead
at the margins
--each of us, pushes
each alone

--nah, the crocus can't walk
and the trees will flame and shake, again
but some of us--can rise for good
when the sky comes to the ground
again--
you--stiff where you lie
you will find, this pushing from the inside
by God--this blind pressure

will come to you also
and one step, ten thousand times
will grind you
back into dirt


No comments: