Sunday, January 31, 2010

spring lady

I said, once,
what I would be
I wore so many different skins
the crackle of brush
and stood
at the summit, claimed
the wind as my breath

I said I was coyote
and conqueror and shadow
skulking, now rising up the palms
I said I was lover, and poet
and claimed the world as my subject
and caressed it with the lips of my hands

I said I was free
and skirted the lawns, blameless
and hungry, and turned the cans over

I forgot the teeth under my skin
so busy rubbing my fingers
to smooth the air
and draw its trouble and pull
its mouth into smiles
mine too--mine too!
said I was master of my own sharp
bones, and drove them into arcs
said I was dancer

the skin tears
the muscles' tangles

I have strength enough,
only, to raise my head
to the spring in winter
cold lady, hovering on
the pavement
to receive her brightness
on my flapping skin

can only say-- I am
here

No comments: