Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Shape of Steam

Part of a poetic dialogue with Aria: number three in response to this excellent one here.

Back to you, my friend.

---

The Shape of Steam

steam is smoke
who can hold the shape of smoke?
they cannot measure
its motion
the lazy moisture hangs
under the branches
and licks the leaves
or shoots upward, spinning
itself against itself
until the still attenuates
its grasp
--so the clouds
that press the cold into the ground
and the streetlights across the asphalt
and catch their glow, a little
is the running ghost of steam
gathered up in flight
from other fires
a vast and arching herd--
rushing and rustling
in the nearer fields of the sky

and I would silence
the porchlight--to hear them better
with my eyes
I would still the lamp
and climb the stairs in darkness
to hear their echo
on the edge of the window

I would stand in the chill
shoulders hunched
head drawn upward
what is the warmth, the fever
-bright sheen
of the glass
to this slow, glowing migration?
what is left of the fire:
these banked and rolling vistas
prove the spark
that strikes in the shadows








2 comments:

aria said...

sorry I missed it ..
thought.. you haven't written yet :(

just dropped by to remind you of our conversation and saw this..
just skimmed through
I'll read it again in the morning ..

Perry Strange said...

":("... anything but that!

A little slow, me--but not that slow. I'll look forward to what you've got when you've got it.

... and the random element is maybe not bad--is the ghost of distance. Like with letters. (I'm all ghosts just now--from your newest... I'd say... you're ghouls?)