Wednesday, November 18, 2009

cul-de-sac

               so I must 
--and we, 
has fallen
                  behind
my hands empty--
I hold, only--the lines
                        on my palms

      the flat light, the wood
siding, straight and fading
and surely-the shadows
were empty, and the velvet
dark, simply the blurring
of lashes--

--surely the world is flat
dull and lined, surely
it must be empty?

                          from rib
to rib
         the echo
launches
                    itself
                    through the dark
    
and far away
the ghosts
        are laughing
        and stamping
                        and the thud
is on my bones
         throw their heads back

here--where the street
ends in houses
the world sprawling
and still
             --don't feel its
own hands

I am perched
on my 
ribs--listening

and slack
                in my skin

this was meant to be a hymn
this was meant to be a drum-beat
this was meant to call

this is nothing
                     but an echo--
the words shriveled
and fell from the pale
and brittle--
        don't say the wind speaks
it whistles and scratches
                              -only.

surely, I am 
full of echoes
                --surely
my words
are shadows--

surely I will not answer again.











2 comments:

aria said...

as usual.. lovely read..
I'm running out of things to say ..
keep at it .. :)

Perry Strange said...

I'll take it! ;)

I wasn't sure about this one. Too--something or other... so if it's got some good bits *relief*.

Pardon for the silence. School appears to be dissolving my ability to communicate without counter-factuals.

... but I see a comment and think "alright!".