Wednesday, October 7, 2009

edge

floods me
              the burnt sweetness
courses
       to the tips of my fingers
    I look up
and see a different moon

silent
           the flood-lit
intersection
    and a single truck
  lumbers by
and a single
 wrapper
     wanders in
the gutter

              the wind
under my arms
             rakes
    my hair
the leaves
         rushing
   above me

I stood
      up from the table
and the bare
sidewalk, the rippled sky

the moon smokes
              the clouds
      and the ghost
shakes my veins

each step
             on the gutter
at the edge
      of the world

in me
      a tiny chasm

             the chair
pushed back
      the empty cup
falling
            onto
the table
silvered
           the moon
sharp
           and high
over the
intersection

still
              and coyote
howls, high
         above us

flickers
             between
the leaves
           dances
along the edge
       of the shadows

I see it

still
            the moon
bright
                     over the
asphalt

2 comments:

aria said...

"I look up
and see a different moon"

lovely.. so very visual.. the way you write.. it is like a moving photograph..

btw I love this formatting .. makes the read much more interesting .. I don't know how to do this :(

Perry Strange said...

yeah! it gives it rhythm, right?

can't sing, but I can use the TAB bar, by God.

you use Blogger, right? if you put your text in the "compose" section, you can use space+tab and all the rest to do muck with the formatting...