Wednesday, August 5, 2009

ash (ii)

one of the boys across the street
is trying to learn a song
                  hear the chords grinding towards ascension
       he falters, pauses
cannot master
                      the solo
I am leaving
a trail of smoke, only
I have burnt to ash
fluttering and cold
I pause at the edge of the driveway
the cat pauses, also
and skirts me, as always
        I hold myself, hard
in the soles of my boots
in the pressure
    of the sky on my head
the mirrors have throw
their reflections
                             out
      --in a heap, sprawled
the chords rise
     straining, against themselves
and begin to dissolve
         shedding notes, clatter
fall senseless
    into disonance, and the player
confused, a little betrayed
noodles a progression
like a sparrow's howl
        disjointed, melodic
rage--lost in the bushes
the song of an axel
        --a screaming, circling hum
I will fall
      behind myself
a scatter, and the wind
will sweep the pavement clean
     

  


2 comments:

aria said...

the last four lines are profound..

kind of reminded me of that MJ video - "remember the times.." just that part when he turns into glittering dust and gets blown over ..

I did think you were busy or something ..never mind! whats a round-robin poem? :( you know I am no poet .. I became one(?) while blogging .. heh .. but your idea sounds interesting .. we can give it a try. I did something of that sort with another blogger-pal. It was more like a conversation.. he wrote something and I wrote something.. taking it forward. It was fun. I'll mail you.

Perry Strange said...

me too, actually. it was the blogging that did it. ;)

A "conversation" sounds good--let's do it!

Think we ought to pick a theme... or just start and see where it goes? I kind of lean towards the latter...