Friday, July 3, 2009

wooed

how could I think--that you didn't love me?
how could I think that I was on sufferance?
the eucalyptus clasps my eyes
and draws them up into its shaggy embrace
they are passed,
from limb to limb
                        up the hill
     the grass, less proud
cradles my boots
soft as flesh over bone
the shade brushes my shoulders
I see your teeth 
in every flash on a windshield
every glimmer
              of dusty wings
your lips cannot be far
they are all around 
        when I could see nothing but my sorrow
running along the lines of the gutters
I wept only with my pores
and the breeze swept across them
bringing only grief--sweet and chill
      --you were kissing me
      in the dark behind my eyes

---

vision fades
memory unravels
but the lingering pressure
will drive me home

1 comment:

aria said...

I really meant it ... that you are even better! You see.. I am engrossed.. completely at loss of words... I loved this one so much.