Sunday, June 28, 2009

ghost (iv)

cradled in my arms,
smaller--than I thought, and dense
the sharp eyes filmed, the mobile face
still--the strong hands, slack
I can't bear this--I can't bear this stillness
this will--this will, at last
compel strength into my arms
drive air into my lungs
I cannot bear this slumping heaviness
I will rise, now
--holding it in my arms
while the night 
still glistens in my eyes
I will cast it up
deep into the sky--I see clearly
it rises loose-limbed
across the slivered moon
--it will walk strong, along the receding ridge-line
it will walk, eyes sharp in the dark streets 
of the future that has passed
away.
--I stand, smaller than ever
but straight
in the sun, under the trees
stranded
on the corner, among bright streets


1 comment:

aria said...

"eyes sharp in the dark streets
of the future that has passed
away."

Lovely Perry.. my favorite line so far ..