Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Written at Swork...

... for lack of a better title. (I couldn't find one that didn't sound prententious and tired. One or the other-- that's fine-- but not both.)

---

A fleet
shimmer,
where was it?--
the sharp line
on the peaks,
in the dry fronds
dropping over
cracked asphalt?
the dust and flowers, roasted
in the air, and warm
pavement
against my palms?
--deeper?
The muscles
pulled straight
across my shoulders,
my legs-- brown and,
steady on the road
that skirts the canyon,
the slip, crunch-- gravel?
All these--
none of them.
Beside the fountain--
sheeting in the lamplight,
on rumpled sheets--
crickets and sprinklers,
and in the sunlight, frozen--
pebble in the shoe,
-- in all these places,
what I had lost?--
it came home in me.

2 comments:

aria said...

"in all these places,
what I had lost?--
it came home in me"

the last 3-4 lines are lovely . and also the overall imagery.. quite visual. I think I know what you mean.. its kind of abstract .. what you lost is as good or bad as the pebbles in the shoes? maybe ...

Perry Strange said...

abstract... oh yeah. I've been a bit of a space cadet the past week or so...

I think I was trying to explain... you know how you can be walking around sometimes, and all of a sudden you get this feeling of familiarity-- a bit like being back home, or seeing someone you don't talk to anymore?

And it's not nostalgia exactly... because you don't *miss* the thing you're thinking about, but rather feel like it's there with you, or you're there with it? And that something triggers it, but it's also there apart from whatever environmental condition brought the feeling to mind...?

yeah... *blinks*